Sunday, June 1, 2008

Destiny? or Chance?

Every day about 5:00 Poppy and I go out for a long walk. It's one of the best parts of the day. Ever since I was a puppy, one of my favorite things has been visiting with other dogs along my path. I've always liked to take full advantage of every meeting.

Meeting other dogs is fun. Some I like more than others and size doesn't matter. Every now and again I meet another dog I don't take to at all and I pretty much ignore them. But mostly, I like other dogs and their people too. I never quite know why they are along my path. They just are.

Now and then I get to wondering about the dogs I never see again, who for some reason never seem to walk when I do or maybe just don't walk the same path every day. When I'm especially philosophical, I get to thinking about the reason some of these dogs come into my life and then leave it while others are there every day along my path. And it's the same with people ... there are people I just love out there who give me treats and rub my belly. Others not so much.

As you probably know by now, Meme believes in lots of things ... one of those is "to everything there is a season and a time for every purpose under heaven". While she believes that, she also believes in our own free will to make choices. But are these two beliefs in conflict? I have absolutely no idea at all. I don't even get the quote!!!

So she explains that nothing happens by accident, that we meet everyone we meet for a reason. Some people (and dogs) come into our lives ever so briefly yet leave themselves indelibly etched on our hearts. But others come along and they are there forever. We can depend on them to listen or to pet us. So it's the paths we choose, or are occasionally led down, that lead us to those who walk with us throughout our lives. There is a purpose for everything that happens to us. Meme says that it's very important to have supportive and loving people around you and I sure can't disagree with that! I can't even walk without someone holding that leash ... at least I don't think so!

You're wondering where I'm going with this. So am I!!!! These things come to me and when I talk them over with Meme sometimes I'm more confused than I was before.

I think what she's saying is that sometimes in life we are disappointed by others. Sometimes they may not live up to our expectations or we don't to theirs. Now and then we have to walk away from them or they walk away from us. It's kind of like I was saying earlier ... there are just some dogs out there who just walk by me once, we touch noses, check each other out, and then they're gone. But that doesn't mean there was no purpose to them being there even once. It doesn't mean that their presence, for however long, was a waste of time.

Meme thinks time is never really wasted. Every second counts. She keeps telling me that as we journey through our life every breath is important and we should never regret a moment that has passed. So that's what I do ... especially important for me because I don't have nearly as much time on this earth as people do.

Meme never looks back and wonders if she made the wrong choice, messed up, welcomed someone into her life only to have to let go. Who she has become is made up of every choice she ever made and without twists and turns along the path, she would not be who she is.
At the end of each day whether we believe that everything that happened to us that day is chance or destiny really doesn't matter. What matters is that every day that passes will somehow affect who we are the next day.

So no regrets, Meme says. I say "what's a regret???". But she explains that we may not know what each day's purpose is, but one day we will look back and we will know why everything turned out the way it did. She says to tell you she is grateful for every person who has ever crossed her path, for however long ... and if you're reading this, you're probably one of them.

'Til next time ...

Molly









Copyright HBS 2008

No comments: