Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Frigid in Florida!!!

It's been quite an exciting few days around here! Meme has been busy shopping for another TV that we need like a hole in the head!!! Princess posted some ideas for diverting them from watching and I thank her, but I don't hold out a heck of a lot of hope. These two are glued!!! It's okay ... at least I can keep track of them.


Slinkiecat, thanks for your comment. I like cats. I lived with one the first 5 years of my life and Meme cried her eyes out when Sammie got terribly sick. She had to take her somewhere and when Meme came home, Sammie wasn't with her and never came back. I don't know where she's living now, but it's not here so other than the lizards on the patio I'm the only four legged animal in the house.


Sammie wasn't exactly nutty about me no matter how many times I tried to catch up with her so we could play. But I have a boy cat friend across the street who lies on his back in his driveway hoping I'll come over and sniff him all over. So I do, but it's boring so I move on pretty quick. Every now and then I chase him just to let him know that dogs rule!


Meme has a lot of opinions about global warming, whether it exists and if so whether we're responsible for it and even more important she thinks we're on the wrong track to fix it if it should even be fixed. She thinks it's a little arrogant of us to believe that we really have much control over the ebb and flow of the earth. I'll tell you one thing ... it's April 15th in South Florida and it's going to be 40 tonight!!!! Anyway ... I'm going to save that rant for another day. Somebody wrote about fire ants and luckily I've never had a run in with them, but I'll look into it.


Sunday was Meme and Poppy's anniversary and you would think this was exciting in some way. I knew something was up when she took forever fixing her face that morning. Seemed to work for her, though, and before you know it I was going out for my midday romp a little early so I just knew I was in for a boring day. Sure enough, off they went. When they got back Meme musthave taken at least 15 pictures of me with that awful flash going pop pop pop and I couldn't figure out why! It wasn't any special day for me that's for sure.


Meme's mind has been spinning again. I know!!! Very dangerous. And as usual she tells me everything. She says she refuses to let go of her positive attitude no matter how hard the TV tries to get her down and bummed about how things are going in this country.


They have this thing called "polls" which is nothing like the poles I see my boy dog friends peeing on. Anyway, the TV keeps telling Meme that most people think this country is in very bad shape. But those same polls also say that most of those same people feel comfortable and happy in their own lives. So she figured out that somehow or other these people are believing what they hear and read ... that most of the people they know are in trouble and just aren't telling them.


Pretty strange because we live in a place with restaurants everywhere, sometimes one on every corner. She feels that if everyone was in such bad shape, the restaurants would be empty. But she and Poppy have to get beepers and wait for dinner almost every time they go out. And that's not places like McDonalds (I don't think they have beepers). These restaurants have pretty pricey menus and there are all these families eating out no matter what day they go.


She says our country has gone through bad times before and we'll go through hard times again. Everything was just too good for too long, people had too much, the cost of homes was completely going haywire. Building went mad and the investors moved in and skewed the whole thing wildly by doing something they call "flipping". So it looked like whole new developments were selling out in days, but they weren't. People were just trying to make money. Eventually something has to give, has to calm the country down.


But in the meantime there are many people who have become so terribly spoiled and as a result unfortunately greedy. They expected the sky was the limit and kept reaching for it. They saw no end to theprosperity. As one very old guy who went through the Depression said the other day ... many people today haven't got a clue about what hard times are really about, they don't really know the true meaning of cutting back. It's really not their fault... for some this is all they've ever known.


So Meme says this will all correct itself over time. It's not fun to see people going through difficult times, but we always come back. This is the United States of America and she doesn't believe that Americans anywhere in this country are bitter about anything. Most people don't look to the government to bail them out. They gain strength from their families, their friends and their faith. And when their lives take a bad turn they pick themselves up, dust themselves off, and start over. She believes in all Americans and she believes in our country's future.

And if that's how Meme feels, that's good enough for me. 'Til next time!


Molly

No comments: